Skip to content

PGPR

December 27, 2009

Aww.  What a cute little acronym!  So tiny and innocent.  What are you doing in my chocolate, little PGPR?  You wern’t there a few years ago.  Let’s find out what you are.

PGPR is known in the candy industry as polyglycerol polyricinoleate.

Wow.  Cool!  Wonder why they put you in my Hershey’s chocolate bar.  Could it be because it makes the chocolate better?

Of course not.  PGRP is used to replace the expensive cocoa butter that is normally found in chocolate.

Well, is it better for you?

Of course not.

What you need to know:

The 1996 study conducted by Andrew Waterhouse of UC Davis which discovered the phenols (potent antioxidants) in chocolate also revealed that these antioxidants come from cocoa butter and the stearic acid it produces. It demonstrated that the phenols prevented LDL cholesterol from building up in arteries. Another study had subjects follow diets in which the majority of fat calories came from either chocolate or butter; only those with the butterfat diet showed an increase in LDL cholesterol.

This is why dark chocolate, which usually contains between about 30% and 50% cocoa butter, is touted for its antioxidant properties, and a bar of Hershey’s milk chocolate is not. Unfortunately, Hershey’s in particular – one of the biggest users of PGPR – has also moved to take advantage of the new healthier perception of dark chocolate. Not only have they begun buying small high-end chocolate producers like Scharffen-Berger and Joseph Schmidt Chocolates, but they have also expanded their dark chocolate line and begun marketing it heavily as a healthy treat. Besides the irony of their simultaneous replacement of antioxidant-filled cocoa butter with PGPR in their cheaper chocolates, they have put corn syrup in many items from the more expensive and supposedly healthy dark chocolate line.

This is the kind of behavior that buying PGPR-enhanced chocolate supports. Dishonest; unscrupulous; pulling the wool over consumers’ eyes. Read your ingredient listings carefully, and research the unfamiliar, and you can feed your mind as well as your body.

RTWT

72 Comments leave one →
  1. Michele permalink*
    December 27, 2009 9:03 pm

Nooooooooooooooooooooo!

Not the Hershey bar!

• Tom permalink
      March 26, 2013 3:21 pm

Hershey’s is no longer an American candy. It is made in Mexico. Check the label with a magnifying glass, if necessary.

• Kimberly. permalink
      May 3, 2013 11:31 am

Just called Hershey. The 1.55 oz bars are manufactured in the US. Any food product manufactured outside the US must disclose the country of origin on the packaging. Please, people, when in doubt, check it out yourself. Don’t believe everything you read on the internet.

• Tom permalink
      May 24, 2013 11:02 pm

I read it on the candy wrapper.

• Matt permalink
      March 4, 2014 8:43 am

The company I work for makes the machines for most of the chocolate industry. I was just up installing one of our SFLs in the Hershey factory out in Wisconsin, so clearly they don’t just outsource their production, that’s not to say some of their factories may be off shores.

2. Hannah permalink
    March 8, 2010 9:46 pm

“I wish they wouldn’t call this a bean because it makes you think you can eat it, but you shouldn’t. it’s highly toxic” -Bio professor on the castor bean.

Oh and that’s what PGPR is made out of! yay, i’m so glad that it’s regulated in non-lethal amounts so we don’t die even though its a completely pointless additive!

• Tom permalink
      March 26, 2013 3:18 pm

Stick with See’s dark chocolate butter.

3. vidah permalink
    March 29, 2010 7:17 pm

I rarely eat chocolate and chocolate candy because of theb sugar, but when I do, it’s usually in the form of hot chocolate. I love hot chocolate with loads of whipped cream and my own blend of extras. One day I came across a real cocoa bean, ate it and though it was bitter reminding me of blok bakers unsweetened chocolate, it did seem to be almost like a bittersweet bean protein and addictive to me as a snack and I wanted to eat more of this newfound snack that I ended up sending to my child away from town. Didn’t ask if he ever got a chance to eat it, but I thought it to be a wonderful wholesome snack that could be easily substituted for candy, but it takes breifly getting used to if you’re not a health fanatic. I then recently bought some Ovaltine brand chocolate malt and thought something was missing in it since the economy got bad because I found myself consuming in it heavily just to get the nutrition my body has been craving from the chocolate. I consumed a half a container in less than two days. I thought that was bad that something some ingredient had to be missing. I decided no use in consuming an entire bottle by myself in less than a week, so I came across this aisle of sugar free chocolates and started reading the ingredients. The first thing I noticed was that many vof them had splenda in them.. Fortunately I came equiped with my internet phone and googled “is splenda a natural sugar”

• August 31, 2014 7:49 am

Spenda is extracted from sugar in a process that uses chlorine. It’s no more healthy for you than the diet sodas that it is added to – a dangerous chemical cocktail of GMO high fructose corn syrup, artificial sweeteners, and food coloring. If you must use “low calorie” sweetners, stevia and monkfruit-extracted sweeteners are the best one for your body.

The bad ones are saccharin (Sweet-n-Low), aspartame (Nutrasweet, Equal), sucralose (Splenda) and acesulfame potassium (Sweet One or Sunett).

4. vidah permalink
    March 29, 2010 8:42 pm

Sorry the rest of my comments have been accidently deleted. I guess you will have to read it in my future book. I’m not taking another hour rewriting it. …..To make a long story short. I came across this pgpr, googled I but before I read the comments properly I had already eaten 5, but I won’t be buying that any more, mcdonald ‘s ice cream cone, that ovaltine, and lily of the valley aloe vera that I used to buy for years. These all seemed to have been altered in their taste and ingredients due to the economy. It would have better to increase the price by 10 cents or reduce the size and keep the same price , becaue if anyone else decides not to buy like I have, then the companies that are committing slow homocide with their products will find themselves out of business. Speaking of unscrupulous and deceitful practices, I give a shout out to the animals who suffered and died after being skinned alive for their fur and meat for the sake of greed. ©2010 vidah saeed activist

5. vidah permalink
    March 29, 2010 8:45 pm

Back to the cocoa bean

• chartlimick permalink
      May 28, 2013 5:14 pm

Well there goes my love for Hershey bars and candy kisses. Geeze, can’t believe what they do to our food with all these chemicals, just killing us off in the long run, or is it the short run….charlimick

6. jlc permalink
    August 9, 2010 3:07 pm

gives a whole new meaning to the “Hershey Squirts”.

7. eimno permalink
    February 15, 2011 5:14 pm

Isn’t the Castor Bean used to make ricin?

• tig permalink
      February 20, 2014 12:52 pm

Check out the Chemical name for PGPR from above in the “article”:: polyglycerol polyRICINoleate :( So far as I’ve found only Hershey’s Milk Duds have yet to be contaminated with pgpr. Looks like Mars will be getting more business from me now!

8. crazybengal permalink*
    February 15, 2011 5:59 pm

ricin is made from the castor bean and so is PGPR.

9. Travis permalink
    July 30, 2011 2:44 pm

Great article. Just ate a Reese’s THEN read the label. I was originally going to pass on the label read this time but could help it. I’m normally a huge advocate of reading the ingredients (which is a loose loose situation on processed food) but this time I just wanted to say screw it. Today was the first time I ever read RGPR on a label. Thanks for the info and keep up the investigating! Is so depressing that 99.9% of food that comes in a box, bag or container has a chemical in the ingredients! What would be do without the internet? Seriously though? The internet is the ONLY way we seem to be able to fight the giants who control this world!

BTW! Everyone needs to watch The Future Of Food (free)

• hjh permalink
      May 30, 2014 11:39 am

lose lose

10. Jim permalink
    September 6, 2011 2:56 pm

Yup. Noticed it the first time last month. ICK. Web search shows it’s been around since at least ’06. Had stopped reading Hershey’s labels because they were so damn dependable in the ‘plain and simple’ category. When I was a kid, a Hershey bar cost $.25. Now, it’s approaching 5 times that much. That’s not too horrible – middle class salaries have done about as well. But if they’re going to dump PGPR on us to lower costs, couldn’t they have passed some of that on to us?

Screw it. I’m 50 years old. I’ll pay for Cocoa Butter in my CHOCOLATE BAR. But it looks like I’m going to be paying somebody else. Sorry Hershey’s. You threw away the one thing that set you apart from all the others. And for the same shitty reason.

• November 23, 2013 2:03 pm

No more Hersheys chocolate for me, 55 yrs old and going to a HEALTH FOOD store to get chocolate with No PGPR. Too Bad, use to be a dependable chocolate bar.

• Borgus Weems permalink
      December 23, 2013 3:09 pm

try hershey kisses, the PLAIN ones. they don’t list PGPR as one of the ingredients. I guess this is a better chocolate in the hershey line because it doesn’t have this. don’t eat reese’s peanut butter cups- chemical additive laden. (DAMN- i used to be addicted to them. when they were fresh, creamy goodness!) I don’t think we as consumers should have to be eating unsafe (what are these doing to my health?) chemicals when we need to have a sugary snack. don’t any hershey employees think about the crappy ingredients in what they are helping to make? does it bother them?
      I have switched to buying ghirardelli chocolate chips to get my chocolate addiction satisfied. read the ingrs. these are PREMIUM baking chips, they say. they are really tasty, but you only get 12 or less ozs. , so you have to shell out more cash. I am a 200 lb. girl, so I buy alot of food. I tell people to read labels. Since so many people are overweight, the food companies should clean up their act- we fatties buy alot of food-REALLY? Your income depends alot on us! Just because I’m not thin doesn’t mean I’m stupid. People eat for MANY reasons, like emotionally, not just to keep their bodies alive.

11. September 15, 2011 12:09 pm

PGPR is disgusting and makes chocolate taste like wax. Plus it’s usually paired with a plastic as a thickening agent. Not cool, bring back the good chocolate dammit! Sticking to smaller companies that don’t cut corners now.

12. melissa permalink
    September 27, 2011 5:40 pm

where can i get a kit kat with out PGPR? Is there a chocolate without it? Is there a home recipe?

• February 2, 2012 1:58 pm

They have kit kats without PGPR in Europe. I know, hardly a help…but my hubby brought two back from a trip overseas and we were in heaven…til they were all eaten up :-(

• April 21, 2013 7:28 am

A lot of the M&M Mars products do not use PGPR. In fact I don’t know of any that I remember seeing that ingredient on. They use soy lecithin as an emulsifier. Not sure how good or bad that is, but I’m guessing it’s better than PGPR.

• Valerie permalink
      April 30, 2014 4:24 pm

At health food stores you can buy chocolate that is better for you.

13. Melanie permalink
    October 26, 2011 1:31 pm

i agree that it makes the chocolate taste like wax. I literally just ate a HERSHEY bar for the first time in a really long time and thought to myself that it tasted waxy. Then I looked at the ingredients and saw PGPR listed which I had never heard of before. The internet is so great. Your article popped up second after Wikipedia in my Google search results. I’m so over eating chemicals. These companies have no integrity. It’s hard when you’re on a budget though. I wish natural and organic foods were more reasonably priced so I could buy everything organic and unprocessed.

• danielgloege@mac.com permalink
      November 2, 2011 12:21 pm

You can buy organic. Don’t make excuses. Quality costs.
      If health and a clear mind have value to you, you’ll sacrifice the non-essential “stuff” you fill your life with. (movies, music, eating out, vacations, “toys”)
      There’s a war on sheeple – and most are not awake to it. Please start reading ALL your products ingredients – toothpaste, deodorant, beverages, vaccines, etc.
      Research: High Brix foods, RBTI-Dr. Reams, Flouride, GMO foods, aerosol bioengineering, Monsanto aluminum resistant seed patents, the new world order.

14. Eva permalink
    October 27, 2011 12:37 pm

Has anyone tried to melt a Hershey kiss? I used to make “chocolate pretzels” by taking mini pretzel twists, placing a Hersey kiss on each one, warming them in a 275 F oven for 2-3 minutes, and then pressing an M&M into each softened kiss. I just tried to do this and discovered that the Hersey kisses do NOT get soft (or melt) even after they have been heated for 10 minutes at 300 F! What has Hershey done to their chocolate? I then looked carefully at the list of ingredients and discovered PGPR in the list. I am so disappointed. I threw the whole mess out. I will never buy Hershey chocolate again!

15. Rob permalink
    October 27, 2011 12:43 pm

I agree

16. Cram M. permalink
    November 9, 2011 5:34 pm

Last night, on a trip to Walmart to pick up some items, I picked up a can of chicken enchilada soup by Progresso. I’ve never seen chicken enchilada soup in a can, but the picture looked nice and I’ve always enjoyed that type of soup when I’ve had it in restaurants.

On the way to the register, I’m scanning the ingredients and see an ingredient listed as DATEM. DATEM? Hmm…what in the heck could that be. I look it up on my phone and find out that it stands for Diacetyl Tartaric (Acid) Ester of Monoglyceride and its an artificial dough conditioner made from soy. Science doesn’t know how or why it works…but somehow…it’s still been classified as GRAS (generally recognized as safe) by the FDA.

Well, when anything is connected to Soy in this country, I’m immediately suspicious, since almost ALL of the soy in America is of the Monsanto GMO (genetic monster organism) variety. Monsanto has owned SO…many people in Washington for so…long, I’m pretty sure they could get anti-freeze allowed as infant formula at this point, if they really wanted to. My hatred of the MonSATAN corporation just immediately soured me on the product and I abruptly put it down and refused to buy it. As I’m driving home, I’m thinking to myself, “why do they need DATEM in soup? When our grandparents made soup at home, I don’t remember them taking out a big can of DATEM to add to it. Where does one even buy some DATEM? If we made soup without DATEM for all those years before, why does soup need DATEM now?”

Fast forward to today at lunch. I’m eating some of the crackers that came with my chili at Wendy’s. I thought nothing could be more innocuous than a plain old saltine cracker. Bored, I read the ingredient list to see that it contains something called TBHQ. After the DATEM experience of the night before, I take out my iPhone and look up this TBHQ, only to find out that Tertiary Butylhydroquinone is the ingredient responsible for the crazy long shelf life of processed baked goods. I also learned that it’s in the American version of Chicken McNuggets (Europe won’t allow it in theirs) AND…it’s a form of BUTANE!…Go look it up. It’s ba…d news!

Later on, like thirty minutes ago, I’m in Walmart and I make an impulse buy of something sweet. I grabbed a Hershey’s Cookies and Cream bar. As I’m standing in line, I scan the ingredients list and see this PGPR. I immediately went to my phone to check it out, but…my phone was dead. I buy the damn thing and eat it in the car and when I come home and get online…I come to find out this lovely info about PGPR! I’m so…over these corporate bastards and their bought and paid for politicians! They’ll kill us to make 1/100th of a penny more per item!.. PURE EVIL!…

Needless to say, the last 24 hours has not been a good one for the alphabet or my piece of mind.

• Deborah permalink
      November 17, 2011 7:58 pm

Try being corn allergic or intolerant… Monsanto owns the corn industry, therefore owns our diets, almost nothing is corn free anymore, not even turkey! I’m just trying to survive on the five things I can still eat. I ended up here looking at a hershey wrapper lol… but it’s frustrating on so many levels.

• melissa permalink
      November 22, 2011 7:04 am

I’m trying to stop eating gmo corn because I heard it has cells in it that produce a pesticide, and after the corn is in your body, your own cells start to produce pesticide, and greatly tax your immune system possibly leading to cancer? This sounds crazy to me, but life is crazier than fiction i guess.

• Nicolette permalink
      March 10, 2012 7:32 am

WOW! Very informative glad i now know, it is so sad to discover foods you liked as a child now corrupted by harmful chemicals. the reason i checked is due to the extra waxiness i noticed in my hershey bar. what is wrong with the world? stop poisoning us!

• warrior2 permalink
      January 23, 2013 3:32 pm

You explained so well a day in the life of “me” too. Thank You. And also, damn to hell those greedy bastards anyhow!

• warrior2 permalink
      January 23, 2013 3:34 pm

my messages are for CramM

• tig permalink
      February 20, 2014 12:56 pm

Anything that is GRAS from the FDA means that somewhere there was a payoff to get it on the label. :) Just saying….

17. Tiffanee permalink
    February 6, 2012 11:01 am

Thank you so much for this information. I was eating a Hershey bar and noticed PGPR on the list of ingredients and was like, “What the heck is that??”. Googled it and came to your post. Notice I said “was” eating…it is now in the trash. I’m so tired of all of these corporations putting poisons in the things we eat…all in the name to save a buck or get us hooked on these foods, so we buy more, essentially increasing their profits. Cheap food that tastes great and is full of chemicals. All the more reason to buy local…

I am convinced the FDA (along with 99% of our gov’t) is a worthless POS…look at all the drugs they approve and then they have nerve to want to regulate supplements. Couldn’t agree more with Cram M.’s post!!!

18. Gareth Symons permalink
    February 12, 2012 2:34 pm

Friend bought back a some hershey “Whoppers” and a large Hershey Chocolate bar back from America. They are pretty horrible, having a weird cheesy taste to them, is that the PGPR i’m tasting? Also the Whoppers have Partially hydrogenated fat in them, which I think is pretty rare now in branded food in the UK? 20 years ago A friend of my dads brought a huge selection of american confectionary back from America most of it was either tasteiless or just horrible.

19. fawn permalink
    February 19, 2012 4:47 pm

Garth, if you want quality chocolate in the U.S. you need to seek out those tiny little chocolatiers who import their own cocoa beans and do all their own quality control. My favorite here in Madison, WI is Gail Ambrosius (her real name). It’s a good sign when you can stroll right into the shop, see and smell the kitchen in the back, and even actually talk to the owner. Try doing that at Hershey’s!

Yes, it’s pricier than dime-store (or dollar-store) candy. But chocolate is a treat, meant to be enjoyed. And for all its antioxidants, I don’t think it was ever meant to be a staple of our diet. But it us worth experiencing. Next time you’re in America, take the time to research the real artisans who make the real, and really fine, chocolate.

Also–Cram M’s got it down.

20. Karen Fosburgh permalink
    March 10, 2012 1:44 pm

Maybe this is the reason so many people have cancer and heart attacks at earlier ages now. Sounds like we need to say goodbye to all fast food and go back to the dark ages of home cooking on a daily basis even if other aspects of our life take a direct hit. Let the corporate creeps that don’t care about anything but their bottom line drown in their own tears until they get the message that we do care about our health and are not going to put up with their garbage any longer

• Javicho permalink
      October 21, 2012 11:18 am

Karen, I totally agree with you. We have cancer, heart attacks, stomach problems and other illnesses not only related to stress and bad nutrition habits but to the quality of the food we eat.
      Do not forget the high number of kids and adults with allergies to diverse products including natural food such as tree nuts.
      May be you did not notice it but this is not the norm in another countries where people eat home cooked meals; Cans, box or frozen preserved ready-to-eat food products are very rare or not accepted at all.
      Also big chains of fast food are barely accepted due to big scale methods are not clear.
      Modern life is coming with a high cost bill. You can see how a new ”state of the art” artificial (synthetic, man- manipulated,.) product or method is approved for human consumption or usage, then after a decade or so it is discovered that the same approved method caused a number of deaths or illnesses on the people that used it. Then that product is retired and a new one is brought and put in place. We are even affecting the animals and plants that suround us, even our pets are getting sick because we feed them artificial ingredients on their meals (propylene glycol), We poison our own sea food by dumping hazard chemicals on the same waters that we should be drinking.
      The basic rule I would say is we are not God, nor Mother Nature nor Evolution. For a regular human being, pretending to be it goes against natural rules. We are trying to manipulate and alter thousands or millions of years of evolution and adaptation. Nature gives you the one and only source of food in natural state and usually ready to eat for what we are adapted.
      However, Greed can change people minds and Ethic concepts. Economic interests are prevailing over Good Faith. Would not the world be different if this statement was the opposite?
      Modernity is not bad thing; it has a lot of good things. if we use them correctly. We are not the unique possessors of Knowledge and in a lot of cases it is not new. We are probably re-discovering things that our ancestors new already.
      I think we can change it from the basis; People can still realize it and do some changes to the system for a better life even little by little.

21. Troy Hanna permalink
    March 17, 2012 3:30 pm

This PGRP stuff is ridiculous. Now the chemicals that r going to kill us can be abrv? I can see future ingredient lists now.lol What a joke. I will never buy another Hershey product as long as I live. ( which may not be much longer with corperate foods dominating the market). Do you like the way they can be so vague in listing “artificial ingredients” as an ingredient. What the heck is that man? Notice it is plural? If we only knew…….YUCK

22. March 18, 2012 8:52 am

i’m allergic to near everything, read this while i was slamming 2 big cups peanut butter lovers reese’s -back to living on chex

23. Steve R permalink
    April 6, 2012 5:25 pm

Once a treat only wealthy people could enjoy chocolate became affordable for the masses not too long ago. Looks like doing it right is becoming less affordable and Hershey doesn’t want to raise prices on their customers. Food prices are going up across the board.

24. Rhea permalink
    April 28, 2012 2:58 pm

I’m a vegetarian for the health benefits ( i dont like the thought of eating sick animals that would have died a week later from illness if they hadnt been killed for my food ), and i also try to stay away from dairy – because the cows it’s milked from are also sick. . not to mention all the hormones and crap added to it. However, the ONE thing i can never give up is chocolate. Recently, I’ve been eating on average of two-three hershey bars a day. Finally, I looked up the ingredients and found this website. Sorry, GOVERNMENT, but you arent ganna kill ME off with your stupid chemicals. No sir-ey.

If you’re concerned about your health ( as people have mentioned, this crap isnt only in chocolate; it’s in just about EVERYTHING thats in a box or can ), then i suggest you visit http://simplehealthytasty.com – The woman who made the site is a friend of mine, and she not only makes toonnnsss of delicious veegan-type food ( all made from scratch ) but she also has ways of making dodorent, shampoo and tons of other things.

If you’re skeptical, then i highly recommend you at least try the cheesecake recipe she has. It’s made mostly from nuts and berries with some other basic organic ingredients. Literally the healthiest and best cheesecake i have EVER had. ever. If you do this then i also suggest you make at least 2 of them. . . . you WILL want more :)

25. Erroll permalink
    May 30, 2012 4:22 pm

It’s actually scary to me: One day I started seeing the PGPR on the ingredients for Hershey’s chocolate.. Next day I read that it’s this disgusting goop that’s replacing cocoa butter so the chocolate companies can cut costs and sell the cocoa butter to cosmetics companies for skin creams! My God, is nothing sacred anymore? You can’t even enjoy a basic thing like chocolate anymore without becoming a victim of human greed….

26. June 4, 2012 7:37 am

Yo! So! are you people telling Mars Candy company all this?? Flood their website with your negative comments too. Maybe they will get the message.

27. June 10, 2012 10:01 pm

So I look this up because I am eating a Hershey’s bar that I bought for s’mores and it tastes like crap because I personally don’t like dark chocolate so I look up the mysterious ingridient that I notice on the wrapper that I know wasn’t there before and wow I was glad I wasn’t crazy lmbo !!! Yuk I used to love Hershey’s and now I will never buy it again this after taste sucks yukkkkk!!!!

28. Oralia S permalink
    October 19, 2012 5:47 am

Will never buy another Hersey’s chocolate bar again…taste is terrible…

29. November 4, 2012 6:32 pm

The after taste actually burns a little. I wonder if that has something to do with the fact that castor beans are poisonous.

30. david watts permalink
    November 18, 2012 10:36 am

does anyone care that “poly” is a plastic?

31. December 12, 2012 10:26 pm

Es horrible ,ladrones sin escrupulos delincuentes bendiendo chocolates y no es chocolate soy amante del chocolate y ahora que . mi vida ; sin chocolate no puede ser ; PGPR and HERSHEY`S ASSESINOS RATAS ; me estan embenenando con sus chocolatessssss

• Vanexxa permalink
      December 20, 2012 5:39 am

Compra los chocolates de trader joes u otra comanias naturales. Hershey’s no es la unica marca. Trader joes los vende a precios razonables.

32. KCittel permalink
    January 5, 2013 11:29 pm

Please be aware that Hershey provides the chocolate for most of the candy companies in the US. Most do not make the chocolate, just the candy. They buy their chocolate from Hershey! Read your label.

33. mat permalink
    February 8, 2013 11:27 pm

Received a box of Mauna Loa chocolates today in Hawaii. Noticed PGPR in the ingredient list. Here’s the website’s ad: “Premium roasted macadamia nuts, drenched in luscious creamy milk chocolate and tucked into a memorable, eye-catching gift box, creating the perfect gift of Hawaii!”
    Also, “2004: HERSHEY’S Buys a Taste of the Tropics – The Hershey Company acquires the MAUNA LOA brand.”
    What a bunch of shit. Even the Macadamia nuts contained in the chocolates are tiny pieces. Don’t waste your money.

34. Danielle Perkins permalink
    February 28, 2013 12:26 pm

wow, was just reading the back of my “used to be” fave peppermint patties, good bye PGPR and emulsifiers!

35. Janel permalink
    March 14, 2013 7:03 pm

I didn’t find it in my hershey bar but I did in my Cadbury bar. So sad that it comes down to this!

• Tom permalink
      March 26, 2013 3:19 pm

Just stick with See’s. Dark chocolate butter.

36. Tom permalink
    March 26, 2013 3:20 pm

37. ughly aftertaste permalink
    April 24, 2013 9:28 am

i felt like this candy bar caused me serious stomach issues, be careful of some of these ingredients, a lot of people have trouble with things like candida yeast, or flu0rosis(fluoride poisoning), high fructose corn syrup (causes kidney stones) splenda (chlorine gas) saccarine (formaldyhide, or wood glue) and don’t know it at all, let alone all the monsantos growth hormone, and soy products (that cause high estrogen levels in males and females alike)
    brush with baking soda, cut out the fluoride but once every few weeks, get calcium supplements, aluminum fluoride replaces/fights calcium, avoid these utterly garbage sweeteners by any means, we should be boycotting these products abroad, so the idiots at the FDA get the hint were not the food or biopharma corporate testing grounds, someone told me hersheys was trying to avoid using these ingredients, and that the government was trying to force them to, i’m not totally sure if this is the case, but most honest corps are getting pushed under by anti-business laws, its a sad state in the world when your penalized and troubled for trying to do good, or provide quality products, but this is the way things are going thanks to our good ol unshakable DC and its fools concerned only with their pocketbooks.
    If they have moved ownership of Hersheys to mexico i’d believe it, the owner could’ve sold the company or gave it up, being unable to maintain it in the US under its anti-(lets say DECENT) business laws, and had some half-shacked cheap greedy corp in mexico pick it up.. sure makes sense, these are name brand products most people wouldn’t think would change, but if they bankrupt them all, and replace the contents by replacing the corporate owners, then its like some average batman movie plot come to real life in an obviously failing manner in their disgusting product.
    Please remove PGPR from this product hersheys.. It’s garbage if its not normal chocolate..

38. May 6, 2013 11:33 am

And did you know that some years ago Cadburys put cochineal in its chocolate. and, as we know, cochineal contains aluminium which, as we know, is a poison and can damage the brain.

39. September 29, 2013 1:24 am

you can’t buy anything – we are being poisoned by big corporate companies – who sleep with Monsanto – they are ALL evil.

40. Elise permalink
    October 20, 2013 10:56 pm

i was about to eat a twix and noticed the pgpr. when i looked it up i found this page. i thank you for helping everyone learn the truth. i am so sick of monsanto and dc pushing gmo foods on us! i wish i could get food from europe. i am allergic to walnuts and i wonder if it is because my stupid sheeple parents made me live on burger king? my cousins have behavioral problems and their mom made them live on mcdonalds. i wish i could put up bilboards to warn everyone about the toxic chemicals in corporate food. notice how the word ‘ricin’ is in pgpr?

41. November 15, 2013 11:13 pm

Yes, as Islamic outfits the outfits will go to you but will certainly not allow peek-a-boos through reduces or through the awesome content
    and also it probably won’t be too tight-fitting. Whether you’re looking for the perfect
    beach coverup or for a fabulous tunic for those sassy jeans, you have
    unlimited choices. I hope we all have a fantabulous week And
    find any happiness which we may seek The problem with Mondays is how fast they
    come, and in case you were wondering, I know this is dumb.

42. January 17, 2014 2:36 pm

I just ate the first Hershey bar I’d had in a long time. While eating it, I looked at the wrapper and saw PGPR. After I’d finished it (unfortunately), I decided to google PGPR and this is what found. Makes me wish I’d looked before I opened the wrapper, that’s for sure! I won’t be eating any more unless they remove it and put back in the cocoa butter! Shame on all these companies for sneaking in these unhealthy ingredients and not giving unsuspecting consumers a fair chance to decide for themselves if they want to be poisoned or not!!

43. Cathy permalink
    February 13, 2014 2:14 pm

Buy chocolate from Ikea. the bars are larger than a regular Hershey bar, cost around 69 cents, have no PGPR, come in Milk and Dark and Hazelnut. MMM MMMM good!

44. Leanne permalink
    May 22, 2014 2:10 pm

Here’s a thought. Do the people who produce this chemical actually consume the products it goes into??? Very doubtful!

45. Jenny permalink
    May 25, 2014 2:31 am

I just got horribly I’ll off of PGPR in Twix bars.
    I am so sensitive to these chemicals/poisons that I am getting started making almost everything from scratch. It’s not that hard to do, and saves $. Or using organic ingredients it still probably won’t cost more than this crap.

Calcium sulfate is plaster of Paris. It’s in bread.
    Look up bleached flour (most anything in grocery/resturant is made from this)and beta cell death.
    Caramel color is made in a lab and bad for you as well. Other dyes with a # are made from aluminum.

Do like me and learn to bake your own bread.
    Please don’t eat it or feed it to kids!
    Spread the awareness and we can stop this!

Also Duncan Hines cake mix has aluminum.
    So does a lot of baking powder.
    The more different products you consume a day, the more aluminum you ingest. Also you are getting a chemical cocktail of goodness!

46. Paul Charles permalink
    August 16, 2014 10:48 pm

Dear god!
    Just listen to yourselves. All of you! The “I read it on the internet so it must be true” Brigade . I actually found so much of this volatile crucible of uneducated half-truth and misinformation based on ‘fact’ in the same way that a Disney fairy tale is based on ‘fact’ (Castles and Dwarves exist don’t they? Ergo Cinderella and Snow White are true stories) completely laughable.

The best one for me was: “because I heard it [GMO corn] has cells in it that produce a pesticide, and after the corn is in your body, your own cells start to produce pesticide, and greatly tax your immune system possibly leading to cancer.
    I mean, seriously?
    What.
    The.
    Actual.
    Fcuk?
    Haaaaa ha ha ha haaaaaaaaaaaaaa ha haaaaaaaa haaaaa ha hah hahaha!
    Just listen to yourselves. Stop it, please, you’re killing me! A damn sight faster than any ricin-related innocuous emulsifier is going to! Granted, it’s not ideal that thus stuff is in our food and it’s a real shame your kisses don’t melt after 10mins @350F but it’s nit going to make your DNA explode and turn you into a three-headed tentacled beast from the 7th circle!
    Cyanide. Everyone knows that this is really REALLY nasty stuff, right? But it’s only one carbon and one nitrogen atom stuck together, the same carbon that 99.999999999999999% of life on the planet is based upon and the exact same nitrogen that constitutes around 70ish percent of the air we breathe.
    ‘Nuff said I think.