Jihadists are islamofascists.
Christopher Hitchens on how jihadism is similar to fascism. (You can hear him here.)
1. It teaches the embittered and the ill-educated that nothing is their fault.
2. It projects the hatred and resentment of the embittered and the ill-educated onto vulnerable or imagined targets, exclusively civilian.
3. It preaches a fundamental anti-semetic conspiracy theory.
4. It relies on elite death squads and killing units.
5. It is for sale to high bidders.
6. It declares war on all art, all culture, and all literature, fusing state power with cult and religious power to eradicate knowledge, science and beauty.
7. It can only maintain momentum by the continuous export of violence.
8. It proposes a society run by the precepts of one mediocre book, and that society would be totalitarian in the strict, literal sense: that everything not forbidden is compulsory, and everything not compulsory is absolutely forbidden.
I found this via Small Dead Animals which has Christopher Hitchens and Salman Rushdie vs. Mos Def. A completely uneven fight.