Skip to content

Eczema – Simple Vaseline Appears To Work Best

May 4, 2008

At least for my daughter.  I have been struggling to control my daughters eczema for 4 years now – she is five.  We have tried lots of things but what appears to work the best is slathering her with vaseline following her bath, after first applying a bit of steroid cream on “hot spots”.  Now I think I will start slathering it on her in the morning as well.  It appears, finally, that there is evidence that moisurizing the skin may be the key to controlling eczema and that allergies are not the primary cause of the condition.

The major breakthrough came in 2006, when Irwin McLean, a geneticist at the University of Dundee in Scotland, and Dr. Alan Irvine, a pediatric dermatologist at Our Lady’s Hospital for Sick Children in Dublin, Ireland, reported that chronic eczema was rampant among families carrying a defective gene for filaggrin, a skin protein that serves as a natural moisturizer. Without it, the usually impervious barrier formed by the skin is compromised by cracking. […]

About one-third to half of all children and adults with moderate to severe chronic eczema have a nonfunctioning filaggrin gene, Dr. Irvine said. Researchers have identified nearly 40 filaggrin mutations, including variations specific to Asian populations. And evidence suggests that the risk of childhood asthma is nearly doubled in those who inherit one of these mutations, but only after eczema arises first.

Not all children with the filaggrin mutation will develope eczema and not all children with eczema have defective filaggrin genes.  Obviously there is much more to sort out.  Nonetheless,

“It points up (sic) to us that maybe we can reduce the impact of asthma and allergic rhinitis by treating the skin in kids with eczema early,” he said, “by moisturizing right from day one.”

6 Comments leave one →
  1. John permalink
    May 5, 2008 1:18 pm

I found a really useful and down to earth site, if your child has eczema or very sensitive skin then you will find lots of helpful tips and commonsense advice

Children’s Eczema Help

2. Jacqui permalink
    June 7, 2008 1:28 pm

I have been using Vaseline on my 3 year old daughter for a while now as the emolients given to me by the doctor made her distressed. She quite happily allowed me to apply Valeline to the affected areas and there seemed to be almost instant results. When the eczema died down we forgot to keep applying the Vaseline to keep the skin moisturised. Today she has developed the worst flare up that she’s ever had, so after bathing her I applied LOTS of Vaseline and she went to bed happily. I thought I’d check the websites to see if I could be doing any harm by just using Vaseline and not going straight back to the doctors. After seeing this website I feel really reassured that I’m doing the right thing and that hopefully it is just a matter of thoroughly moisturising the skin with Vaseline and all the other thing like reducing dust, watching the diet etc. So a big thankyou for putting my mind at rest and I’m pretty convinced that my daughter’s skin will be a lot better in the morning when I will be applying lots more Vaseline.

3. crazybengal permalink*
    June 7, 2008 1:52 pm

Do it everyday – don’t skip a day and always after a bath. we use no soap other than what we use to shampoo her hair. A little corticosteroid cream on flair up spots only with vaseline over it.

4. June 20, 2008 4:45 am

I had really dry skin as a kid, and used to usevaseline. So, after trying EVERYTHING else for our almost three year, old who has had bad excema from birth, from almond oil to pure vitamin c to the steroids prescribed by the doc to olive oil to organic, homeopathic remedies, I decided to use Vaseline. It was like a miracle. In two days excema cleared up – gone. I’m so stunned. Now use only this faithfully, imediately after bath – actually lukewarm shower. It’s made all the difference

5. July 28, 2008 3:07 am

hallo, is there anybody with experiences on the treatment of
    “lichen ruber”, especially serious nail-damages on hands and feet?

6. November 26, 2008 7:29 am

good to have stumbled on ur website.